Each school year for the band begins with BAND CAMP! Band camp is two weeks of fun, hard work, team-building, and much more, and is a highly important kick-off to our Marching Season and year! “Pre-camp” week is the first week of camp, and features several camps for small groups within the full band, including:
- Leadership Camp (all student leaders)
- Drumline Camp (all percussionists)
- Color Guard Camp
- Marching Mustang Rookie Camp (1st year marchers in the Marching Mustangs).
Band Camp Schedule
Details will vary from year to year, but here’s how a typical Band Camp might look:
Monday-Friday: “Pre-Camp Week”-Leadership, Marching Mustangs Rookies, Percussion, Colorguard
Sunday Evening: Full Band Kick-off rehearsal!
Monday-Friday: Full Band Camp (7 AM – 5 PM Daily)
Saturday: Final Rehearsal, Parent Meetings, Parent performance, and Ice Cream Social (morning)
Remember To Bring
- Instrument and music (show music should be memorized prior to camp).
- Sunglasses, hats and sunscreen are required for rehearsals, and please dress appropriately.
- Tennis shoes (or marching shoes) and socks. No flip-flops, sandals, or any inappropriate marching footwear.
- WATER JUGS, insluated and iced. All students need their own water.
Food – what about meals?
Make sure to eat a good breakfast each day!!! You should bring your own snacks and water from home. During lunch and dinner breaks, go home so you can eat, rest, and cool down. Get in the air conditioning and drink a lot of water! You may bring your lunch to camp, but make certain to clean up after yourself. Also – drinking water during the evenings when not rehearsing is very important – it will pre-hydrate you for the next day’s activities!
Kicking off the Year!
Band Camp is the official kickoff of the entire band year. In addition to learning the show for the marching season and having a ton of fun getting to know your bandmates, you will also take care of several “administrative” tasks such as:
- Turning in Participation and Registration Forms and Fees
- Uniform fittings
- Season T-shirt distribution
Watch for more information on the Band Update Page and Charms Emails
Band Camp Attendance = Mandatory
Band camp is a very important time for the Marching Mustangs. During the week of band camp, students will learn all music and field formations for the marching season. It is very difficult for other band members and color guard members to work around your empty spot, and even more difficult for you to catch up if you miss camp.
If you become ill or injured during the week and will miss a rehearsal, please email or call. It is your responsibility to let your section leader, the drum majors, and Mr. Freeman/Mr. Wagoner know you will be gone. You will need to catch up quickly when you return.