Band Update: 3-6-2022
- From the Directors… simply put… WOW!!! What a couple of weeks in the BVN Band!
- This week: Feeder Fest Monday night and State Bball Pep Band Wednesday.
- Feeder Festival Help Needed – Click Here to SIGN UP
- Solo and Ensemble Registration this week.
- This week: Feeder Fest Monday night and State Bball Pep Band Wednesday.
- The Week Ahead: 3/7-3/11/2022… then…. Spring Break!
- Solo and Ensemble Festival Sign up this week.
- Soloists, do you have an accompanist?
- Winter Park – Reminders/What’s next
- Chaperone Meeting THIS Thursday (date change…)
- ALL Travelers (+1 parent per student) Meeting on Wednesday 3/23, 5:30 PM.
- All Payments and Paperwork now well past due.
- After Spring Break to the end of the School Year, at a glance
- BVN Band Calendar
- Expanding your Musical Horizons! Lettering, Lessons, Honor Bands!
From the Directors
Wow! No, Really….. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
The last 15 days have included SO much:
- A WONDERFUL Concert by ALL of our BVN Concert Bands
- An AMAZING Jazz Festival experience for our Jazz Band
- A GREAT senior night bball performance by our pep band
- AWESOME State Piano Festival Performances by Band and Orchestra Students
- SPECTACULAR All-state experiences
- TWO, FIRST-EVER festival performances by our BVN Winter Guard,
- The REMARKABLE Wind Ensemble Concert Tour.
I say it again…. WOW!!!
Amazing music, fantastic student performances, at ALL of these events. I am so very, very proud of our BVN Students, and I know that Mr. Wagoner, Mrs. Sipes, and Mr. Betzelberger agree. At all events, our students have represented BVN with respect and integrity. This was a couple of weeks to remember!
And… we just keep on going
This final week before spring break features our BVN Area 6-12th Grade Bands Festival Concert, a State Basketball Pep Band (congrats to our Girls BBall team for advancing to state!!), our Drumline and Color Guard giving a quick performance at OTMS, a Winter Park Parent Chaperone Meeting, and Solo and Ensemble Festival Sign-up.
As always, thanks for your careful reading of all of these details, and thanks to everyone for all you do to support our Mustang Bands!
As we continue to live through the covid era: please Click Here to read our current Covid Mitigation Procedures for Band.
Mr. Freeman and Mr. Wagoner
The Week Ahead in the Band, 3-7-3/12/2022
- Odd Block Schedule. Solo and Ensemble Festival Sign-up Posted outside the band room.
- BVN Area 6th-12th Grade Bands Feeder Festival Concert!
- Featuring ALL Band Students from OTMS, LMS, and BVN, in the BVN Gym
- Concert begins at 7 PM, and will be done by 7:45!
- Call time for BVN Band Students is 6:30 PM, in concert black attire.
- At 6:30: All students get their instruments from the band room and should be seated, ready to go, in the gym by 6:45 PM
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED (both students and parents) – CLICK HERE to sign up!
- Set-up Crew (students and parents) (5:00 – 6:00 PM)
- Greeting Crew and Gym Welcoming Crew (Students, 5:45 – 6:50 PM)
- Tear Down Crew (students and parents, after the concert)
- Winter Guard Practice 7 – 9 PM. Band Students in Winter Guard can go to WG after the concert is done.
- Even Block Day with Late Start
- Odd Block Day
- Girls Basketball team to the State Tournament in Wichita. VOLUNTARY PEP BAND! Details and Sign up to be released on Monday. For your planning purposes:
- We’ll depart BVN sometime in the early afternoon… likely 1:30/2:00. Dinner upon arrival in Wichita. Perform for the 6 PM Game. Return after the game is done… ETA to BVN at 11 PM.
- All details to be confirmed on Monday and sign-up posted. When the sign-up is posted, REPLY/SIGN-UP IMMEDIATELY!
- Even Block Day with Late Start
- Drumline and Color Guard Volunteers to OTMS for a pep assembly performance. Details will be communicated directly to the volunteers.
- Winter Park Chaperone Meeting, 5:30 PM in the Band room! Please note that we have delayed this meeting to Thursday b/c of the State Bball Pep Band on Wednesday.
- No School, Professional Learning for Teachers, and start of Spring break for Students.
- Potential Bball Pep Band: if the girls win on Wednesday, they play again on Friday at 6 PM. Details TBD after the Wednesday Game.
- Potential Bball Pep Band: if the girls win on Wednesday, then they play both Friday and Saturday. Saturday is either the state championship game (with a win on Friday), or the State 3rd place game (with a loss on Friday). Schedule/details TBD as the tournament plays out this week.
3/12 – 3/12: HAPPY SPRING BREAK!
- Make sure to read through the “Spring break to end of the year at a glance” section (Below), so you are ready to go for a fun end of the school year!
Solo and Ensemble Festival: Sign-up this week/before Spring Break!
An optional, but AWESOME opportunity for BVN Band Students: Perform in the KSHSAA Regional Solo and Ensemble Festival. And, for all who earn a “I” rating at regionals, perform in the State Festival! Students prepare and perform a solo on their instrument (with accompanist if the piece is composed with an accompaniment), or in a small ensemble (groups of 3 to about 15… no duets) for a professional adjudicator. It is an AMAZING way to enhance individual performance skills, musicianship/expression/creativity, and confidence.
- Regional Festival is at Olathe South High School on Saturday, April 9th
- State Festival (for those who earn a “I” Rating at regionals) is on Saturday, April 30th
- Students can Sign-up on the sheets outside the Band Room THIS WEEK! Sign-up deadline is before they leave for Spring Break.
- Must perform with an accompanist, if the solo is written with an accompaniment.
- If you don’t already have an accompanist, CLICK HERE for a list of Accompanists. Please find an accompanist and list them on your info, when you sign up. When registering, we have to know who your accompanist is!
Thinking Ahead – Solo and Ensemble Festival in April!
It’s time to begin thinking ahead to Solo and Ensemble Festival in April! Solo and Ensemble Festival is a WONDERFUL experience for students. Prepping/Performing a solo and performing in a chamber ensemble (small group, usually one on a part) are FUN and challenging processes. Students who do this will build performance skills, creativity, and confidence in a unique and powerful manner…. something we can’t replicate in other settings. While not required, this is HIGHLY encouraged.
- If you wish to perform a solo:
- NOW is the time to pick a solo. HIGHLY HIGHLY encouraged that you work with a private teacher in solo preparation. If you don’t have a solo picked in the next couple of weeks, it will be too late.
- Solos must be accompanied, if the solo is written with an accompaniment. CLICK HERE for a list of wonderful accompanists. Find Accompanists NOW – don’t wait! These wonderful musicians are in demand and will fill up quickly. Student Pianists can also be accompanists – talk with Mr. Freeman if you are thinking of having a student accompanise.
- If you wish to perform as part of a small ensemble:
- Small ensembles are groups of 3 up to about 15 (duets not accepted). Examples: Brass Quintets, Woodwind Quintets, instrument “choirs” (i.e. clarinet choir, trombone choir). Some small ensembles will be built by the directors and/or our Adjunct staff in classes (percussion ensembles are one example)
- If you wish to perform in a small ensemble, make sure to talk with Mr. Freeman or Mr. Wagoner and we’ll help get it going. There are some instrumentation restrictions, so make sure to talk to us first to make sure your chamber group is allowable.
Winter Park Trip Info
Just a few weeks until we go to Winter Park!!!! Please mark these dates on your calendar:
- Thursday, March 10th, 5:30 – 6:30 PM: Trip Chaperone Meeting in the Band Room
- Wednesday, March 23rd, 5:30 – 6:30 PM – PAC: Trip Information Meeting for ALL Travelers, Plus one parent for each student traveler!
- We will share the full trip booklet at this meeting, which includes full itinerary, chaperone groups/bus lists/rooming lists, etc. It’s an important one for all travelers!!
- Wednesday, March 30th – Sunday, April 3rd: BVN Band Winter Park Trip!
- Tentative Schedule for 3/30 Departure: 9:30 PM luggage in band room, 10 PM trip kick off meeting in PAC, 10:30 Load busses, 11 PM depart for the overnight to Winter Park!
- Thursday 3/31: Arrive, check-in, equipment rentals and rest, perform in the evening. Friday and Saturday – Ski and fun! Sunday Return home.
Final payments and all paperwork for the trip is now past due. If you are missing anything, get it in ASAP or penalties will begin to apply, including possible removal from the trip. If you have received reminder emails from Mrs. Ellis, these carry as much or more weight than if they came from Mr. Freeman or Mr. Wagoner – please get things done NOW!
A HUUUUGE Thanks to our Trip Coordinator, Mrs. Ellis, who has done phenomenal work over the last few weeks, and will continue to do so.
Spring Break to the End of the Year At-A-Glance
- End of March: Winter Park Trip!
- April – Festival Month!
- Return from Winter Park.
- Band Concert 4/11. Then…. Contest Month!
- Solo/Ensemble Festivals (voluntary)
- State Large Group Festival (Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble).
- BVW Band Festival (Concert Band).
- Drumline Performs for Dance Team Spring Show (Tentative)
- Cap it off with the Pancake Dinner and our first ever Night of Percussion and Jazz on Wednesday 4/27. April…. WOW!
- Also during this Month: Doc Roberts Scholarship Applications, Lettering Applications, Drum Major and Color Guard Auditions, and leadership applications for the 22-23 BVN Bands
- May: Celebration Month!
- Band Recognition Dinner (Band Banquet) and Concert on the Lawn 5/11.
- Class Day and Graduation Performances.
- Also During this Month: Drumline Auditions and some events to lead to next school year.
BVN BAND CALENDAR
Expanding your Musical Horizons!
During the School year, there will be many AMAZING opportunities to make music outside the walls of BVN. Honor Bands, Private Lessons, and much more can and will be highlights of your year, and memories that will last forever.
PRIVATE LESSONS are HIGHLY recommended! Private lessons help students unlock skills and work on specific techniques that will greatly enhance their playing! Students who wish to be in the BVN Wind Ensemble, or who want to go for honor bands, take solos to festivals, etc should seriously consider private lessons. We are lucky to have many AMAZING private instructors in the area – just email Mr. Freeman or Mr. Wagoner for suggestions.
Fountain City Youth Brass Band – an incomparably awesome opportunity!!
The Fountain City Youth Brass Bands are INCREDIBLE. A premiere organization – one of the best anywhere – and a phenomenal experience for brass and percussion students. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! Click here for more info.
The First honor band experience will be auditions for the ECKMEA District Honor Bands (all band students are eligible), and the Kansas Sousa Honor Band (for 9th Graders). These are FANTASTIC experiences and well worth the effort to audition. HIGHLY recommended for all students.
Please find all details of these and much more on our Extra Musical Experiences Webpage.
Audition Materials can be found on the Student Resources Login Page of the website. Students should know the password.
LETTERING IN BAND
Students can earn a varsity letter in band, just like in any sport. Letters are awarded to students who go above and beyond what it takes to earn the band grade. Volunteering for pep bands, serving as a member of leadership, taking private lessons, participating in FCYBB and/or the KC Youth Symphony, performing at church, and on and on… all of these and much more can qualify for lettering points. CLICK HERE for lettering details.
First year letter winners receive the Chenille Letter Award, and 2nd/3rd/4th year winners get pins to add to the letter.