February through Spring Break in the Band!
We start February in Celebration!!
- WOW! – MUSICAL!!!! HUGE congrats to all of our Band Students who participated. Spam-A-Lot was FUNNY, entertaining, and very high quality. We are proud of all of our musical members!!
- And…. an AMAZING PANCAKE DINNER including a wonderful performance by our Jazz ensemble. Another WOW, moment! The fundraiser was very successful, and even better was seeing SO much of our BVN Community out and spending wonderful time together. Congrats to our EKL Champ swim team, as well. And… of course GREAT job pep band members!!
- Another CONGRATS to our All-State musicians!!! They will be headed to the KMEA state convention at the end of February.
I must extend a personal thanks to Mrs. Nix, Mrs. Dubriel, Mrs. Nichols, and Mrs. Dunbar for their PHENOMENAL leadership of our Pancake Dinner and Silent Auction. And a HUGE shout out to our MBB board for their continued PHENOMENAL work on behalf of our band. Thanks to Mrs. Danda for her fantastic leadership of this group. The phenomenal experience of being in a music program such as ours does not happen without this remarkable support. THANK YOU!!
February through Spring Break is always a busy time in the band – Pep Bands, February Concert, KMEA State Convention, Jazz band to PSU Jazz Fest, and our BVN Area 6-12 Band Festival Concert. It will be a blast! The Band Update has a summary of events, and Band Calendars all of the details. Thanks for keeping up with it all!!
Band Quick Links:
- February 29th – Post Concert Reception Sign-up. CLICK HERE to donate or volunteer. Thank you!
- BAND CALENDAR – UPDATED!!!! PLEASE NOTE These very IMPORTANT Updates. More details can be found below in the Band Update
- Night of Jazz and Percussion Moved to Tuesday 4/23 (previously on Weds 4/24).
- WIND ENSEMBLE to PERFORM at the AMAZING Lied Center of Kansas on Wednesday 4/24. .CLICK HERE for Full details (departure from BVN, dinner, etc).
- JAZZ ENSEMBLE to Perform at the KCKCC Jazz Summit, a PHENOMENAL Jazz Festival, on Friday 4/26.
- Graduation has been set for SUNDAY, May 19th, at 1:00 PM. ALL Band students who are not seniors perform to honor our wonderful Senior Class of 2024. Find More details HERE.
- ALL Calendar Updates are now available on our online Band Calendars
- Performance Recordings!
- As we complete performances, we’ll post video and audio recordings.
- The link above takes you to the login page of our band website…. ask a student for the password! On that page you’ll find a folder containing performance recordings.
- SPAIN TRIP PHOTOS For all Spain travelers – Please share your Spain Trip Photos and enjoy others!!!
- The Band BoosterHub Website:
IMPORTANT – Band Calendar Updates!
Please make sure ALL of these are updated on your personal calendars!!
Night of Jazz and Percussion Moved!!
- Our AMAZING Night of Jazz and Percussion (NoJP) Concert is moved to Tuesday, April 23rd, 7 PM
- The NoJP Dress Rehearsal for Percussionists will stay on 4/23, as planned, but we’ll move it up. Time TBD, likely 4- 5:30 PM.
- EVERYONE is invited to a Band Family Dinner that evening, to help celebrate our Jazz and Percussion Students. Details coming soon. Pencil it in for 5:45-6:45 in the Commons.
WIND ENSEMBLE to PERFORM at the AMAZING Lied Center of Kansas
- Our Wind Ensemble will share a concert with the phenomenal KU Symphonic Band at the world-class Lied Center of Kansas in Lawrence.
- The Concert is Wednesday, April 24th, 7 PM.
- CLICK HERE for Full details (departure from BVN, dinner, etc).
JAZZ ENSEMBLE to Perform at the KCKCC Jazz Summit, a PHENOMENAL Jazz Festival.
- Friday, April 26th, 2024. During the day performance. More details TBD. Jazz families please mark your calendars!
GRADUATION PERFORMANCE Details:
- EVERYONE Double-check your calendars for our Graduation Performance! Graduation has been set for SUNDAY, May 19th, at 1:00 PM. ALL Band students who are not seniors perform to honor our wonderful Senior Class of 2024. Find More details HERE.
Now through Spring break: Week-by-week overview:
- Week of 2/26: ACT Testing Day Tuesday, so bell schedule is: Mon-7 period, Tues ACT only, Weds – Odd, Thurs-Even, Friday-7 Period. Thursday 2/29 February Band Concert!!. Friday 3/1 Jazz Ensemble to Pitt State Jazz Fest!! Sub State Basketball this week – if we have home games, we’ll provide a pep band as possible.
- Week of 3/4: Monday 3/4 – BVN 6th-12th Grade Band Festival Concert in the Gym!. State Basketball this week – potential pep bands. Spring Break starts with no school Friday.
SUMMER MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES: It’s time to think about them!!
Over the summer, there are many PHENOMENAL Music Camps. We HIGHLY Encourage ALL band students to consider these. Summer Camps present unique and powerful opportunities to enhance musicianship and build connections with other AMAZING young people, just like our band students. Personal story from Freeman: my eye doctor is a close college marching band friend… I introduced him to his wife when we were in band together… his wife was a good friend from, you guessed it, summer music camps! Musicians are often some of the best people and close friends… camps are great ways to build life-long connections to other great people!!
A small sampling of phenomenal camps:
- KU’s Midwestern Music Camp is one of the longest running and strongest musical experiences in the country!
- The High Plains Band Camp at Fort Hays State University is wonderful!
- KSU has launched a series of summer music clinics over the last decade which are well done.
- The CROWN JEWEL of Summer Music Camps is the Music For All Summer Symposium – held in Muncie, IN. HIGHLY recommended.
- UMKC will offer a series of more specific camps: Jazz Camps, Percussion Camps, Sax Camps, etc. Well worth a look!!
- And more… just spend a few minutes google searching and you can find MANY incredible camp opportunities.
Since Covid – we have not had many students attend summer camps. We hope to see this start to change this summer – In addition to the phenomenal experience that students will have at the camps – students who attend these camps come back with enhanced musicianship that ripples across our program, enhancing the quality of experience for everyone.
FYI- we will be hosting our Leadership and Color Guard Clinic at BVN, again, this summer. More info coming soon as we are finalizing dates with our clinicians and confirming facilities.
CONGRATULATIONS to our ALL-STATE MUSICIANS!!
We are SO proud of ALL of our students who auditioned for all-state! Congrats to all of them!!
Spring Semester in the Band, at-a-glance
The Spring Semester is always one filled with incredible music as students uncover new skills and seem to level up in their playing and musicianship almost daily. Each concert and event will show incredible growth and enjoyable music…. I can’t wait to experience all of this with you!
January – Basketball Pep Bands, Snow Days, and lots of great rehearsals.
February – a BIG Month: The Pancake Dinner (a HIGHLIGHT of the year) featuring our Jazz Ensemble and on the Friday night of Musical. The Musical – “Spamalot” – featuring many BVN performers including band students! Our February Band Concert. Piano Festivals. KMEA All-State Honor Groups. And… Basketball Bands!
March – Lots of FUN and the calm between the February and April “Band Storms”. Pitt State Jazz Festival. BVN Area 5-12 Band Concert. Postseason Basketball Pep Bands. Spring Break. LOTS of Great rehearsing.
April – Festival Month! Featuring our Pre-festival Concert. The first ever Blue Valley District Concert Band Festival (which should be a PHENOMENAL Event for our Wind Ensemble). The Blue Valley West Concert Band Festival for our Symphonic Band. The BVN Band Night of Jazz and Percussion featuring our Jazz Ensemble and awesome Percussion Ensembles.
May – the culmination… Our Annual “Concert on the Lawn” and Band Awards Banquet performance (an incredible tradition sending off our seniors in style) and Graduation Performances. Also… getting started for next year with some Marching Band activities!
IMPORTANT: Stay up with Band Info!
Make a Shortcut, one touch, on your phones to the BAND CALENDAR Webpage: https://bvnbandboosters.boosterhub.com/calendar/1413#
On that page, you’ll find all available details of all band events. You are also one click away from:
- The Band Update Website (this page)
- The rest of the Band BoosterHub Site, including our store and much more.
- A couple more clicks gets you to our Members Only Page, which has resources for students and downloads of performance recordings (audio and video) as they become available.