Band Update: 10-2-2022
This past week was a nice quiet week in the band and included wonderful parent-teacher conferences. I hope everyone enjoyed the breather… because we are OFF to the races! October in the Band is going to be FUN! Make sure to keep your eyes on the Band Updates throughout the month for all of the details.
This week features one of my favorite events of the year – The Blue Valley District Marching Showcase. This is an AMAZING night, showing off all 5 of our BV Marching Bands in exhibition (non-competitive) performance. It is fun, supportive, and HIGH QUALITY! I highly encourage ALL Band Families to try to attend. Performances begin at 7 PM at the DAC. Get there early as it is usually a very full house for seating. Performance Order is: BVNW – BVW – BVSW – BVH – BVN. Our very own Marching Mustangs get to close out the evening!
Also this week is the Marching Mustangs first festival/competition performance – the Olathe Marching Invitational. We perform at 12:30 PM on Saturday at the Olathe “CBAC” (College Boulevard Activities Center)…. just a few minutes down the road. I hope to see a BIG contingent of BVN Band Supporters at that event. Come one, come all!!
All of October is busy and very fun. Here’s a quick glimpse. October at-a-glance:
- Week of 10/2-10/8: BV District Marching Showcase (10/3) and Olathe Marching Invitational (10/8). Also – register to audition for ECKMEA Honor Bands!
- Week of 10/10-10/14: Testing week (strange bell schedules), no school Friday, and Senior Night Football Game with our Annual Postgame Light Show!
- SENIORS: Be on the lookout for an info form for senior night. SENIOR PARENTS are invited to join you on the track at halftime for a nice recognition.
- ALL MARCHING MUSTANGS: Time to start prepping for the light show! Battery powered strings of lights, glow sticks, etc!
- Week of 10/17-10/22: Marching Mustangs perform at the Kansas Bandmaster’s Marching Band Championships at KU!
- Week of 10/24-10/29: BVN Band Coffee Shop night featuring our Jazz Band and Concert/Freshman Band (10/25) and Marching Mustangs Perform at the Neewollah Marching Festival (10/29).
For Band Parents: THANK YOU for the amazing support. Reminder of our current/ongoing needs:
- IMPORTANT/QUICK RESPONSE NEEDED: BVN Coffee Shop Night Coordinator Needed!
- Coordinate donations and set-up for our BVN Band Coffee Shop Night on Tuesday, October 25th. This night features performances by our Jazz Band and 2nd hour Concert/Freshman Band – so I would LOVE to have this coordinator come from the parents of students in those classes.
- This is a FUN one to do, very straightforward, and we have a really good script for you to run off of – s0 NO WORRIES about not having done it before. It’s very manageable and enjoyable. Please contact Mr. Freeman if you are interested.
- WATER: We have a great start on water donations – thank you! We still need more. Please send in a case of water for use at band events. (1 case per band family is great!). Bring them to the band room at before/after school events, or drop them at the front office during school hours, labeled for the band.
- MARCHING MUSTANGS Meals: we will be feeding the Marching Mustangs several times in the near future. We are asking for some donations to help with those meals. CLICK HERE for details and to sign up to donate. Thanks again!!
- CHAPERONES: We have openings for chaperones for the remainder of our marching band performances. CLICK HERE To sign up.
STUDENTS: It’s time to sign-up to Audition for the ECKMEA Honor Bands! This is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and a FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE! It is also the first step towards all-state and all-national honor bands.
- CLICK HERE to Sign-up. All registrations due by the end of the day Monday 10/10/2022.
- All auditions materials and information can be found on the registration link or at the bottom of the band update.
- These same materials will be used for our BVN auditions for Spring Concert Bands. Info for those auditions coming out soon, too!
Contents of the Band Update:
- From the Directors
- This week
- October at-a-Glance
- Parent Help Needed
- ECKMEA Honor Band Auditions Sign-up.
- The Week Ahead: 10/3-10/8/2022
- BVN Band Performance Calendar 22-23.
- The Fall Semester, at-a-glance. A cliff’s notes version of what is coming this fall.
- 22-23 Band Forms/DUES
- Mustang Band Boosters News:
- Current Support Needed
- MBB Board Meeting Schedule
- Honor Bands – Audition Music!
- Our Student Resources Page (ask section leaders for the password) has audition materials for BVN, ECKMEA Honor Bands, All-State Honor Bands, and the John Philip Sousa Honor Band
- Student Resources Page on Band Website
The Week Ahead: 10/3-10/8
- Odd Block Class Schedule.
- Marching Mustangs 7 AM Rehearsal
- Marching Mustangs Perform at the Blue Valley District Marching Showcase!! EVERYONE is invited to come attend, support, and enjoy this WONDERFUL evening!
- It is one of our favorite events of the year… a chance to see our 5 FANTASTIC BV Marching Bands as all of us prepare to head into contest season.
- The event starts at 7 PM at the DAC, and it is always well attended… arrive early to make sure to get good seats!!
- Marching Mustangs Schedule/Details for the evening is as follows.
- In FULL Uniform with BLUE SHIRTS (this year’s blue shirt). This includes uniform Coat, Pants, and Shako (hat). Uniform Gloves and shoes, and LONG Black Socks – AT LEAST mid-calf length. MAKE SURE TO BRING YOUR SHAKO, SHOES, GLOVES, and LONG ALL-BLACK SOCKS from home!!
- After school: Trailer loading.
- By 4:00 PM: Uniforms will be out and ready for students.
- 4:45 PM: BAND DINNER! Our MBB is providing dinner for the Marching Mustangs on this evening. Thank you MBB!
- 5:30 PM: Departure time for the DAC. The official “call time” of the evening. All students ON THEIR BUSSES by 5:30 PM, in full uniform, with everything they need for performance.
- 5:45: Arrive at DAC, unload and find a spot to warm-up/get ready… usually on a portion of the soccer field but it varies year to year.
- Trailers will pull to the lower/south end of the fields and find a place to unload. With all 5 bands on site, space is tight on the south end of the DAC.
- Busses will drop off at the upper/North parking lots of the DAC and students will come find the trailers and our warm-up location. We will send out a message in the Band app (to students) after we park trailers and have scouted out a warm-up location.
- 6:00: Warm-up/get ready.
- 6:45: Move into seats to watch other bands perform.
- 7:00 – BV District Marching Showcase Begins! Performance order is:
- After BVSW performs, we will move to the South End Zone to watch BVH from that staging area location.
- 8:30, Estimated: Event finishes! We’ll load up trailers and busses and head back to BVN as soon as we can.
- Students are dismissed when instrument, music, and all supplies are properly put away, and their uniform is NEATLY hung back up on their assigned uniform rack. Best estimate is 9:30 PM.
- Even Block Class Schedule
- Marching Mustangs: NO 7 AM Rehearsal! No Tuesday 7 AM rehearsal this week b/c of the showcase/late night on Monday evening. Enjoy a little extra zzzz’s!
- Odd Block Class Schedule.
- Marching Mustangs: Evening Rehearsal at the DAC!
- 5:45 Unload trailers
- 6:00: Color Guard and Percussion Sectionals Begin
- 6:30-8:30 PM: Rehearsal.
- White out Wednesday!
- 8:30 PM: EVERYONE IS INVITED! Marching Mustangs will give a full run “performance” of the show at 8:30 PM at the DAC, and we’d love to have an audience! Come one, come all!
- We’ll have a short debrief with the students after the performance and dismiss a little later than normal.
- Thanks for understanding the little bit of extra time, since we are losing both Friday (9/30) and Tuesday (10/4) rehearsals and have two major performances in this same time period.
- Even Block Class Schedule with Late Start.
- Traditional Schedule/All 7 Class Periods Meet.
- Marching Mustangs: Load Trailers After school.
Saturday 10/8: Marching Mustangs perform at the Olathe Marching Festival!
- Overview: The festival is a 2-part Prelims-Finals Format.
- “Prelims” during which bands receive awards based on divisions by band size.
- “Finals” when all bands perform against all other bands in and open class format.
- Marching Mustangs will perform in Prelims at 12:30 PM. Prelims awards are at 3:45 PM
- All Bands will perform in Finals. Finals are 5:30-9:45 PM and performance order is determined by a drawing (by directors) right after prelim awards, approx 4PM.
- The festival is at the “CBAC” (College Boulevard Activities Center) in Olathe at the intersection of Lone Elm and College Boulevard (immediately west of Olathe NW high School).
- Admission is CASH ONLY, $10 for adults and $5 for children. One admission gets you in and out all day long, for both prelims and finals.
- CLICK HERE for a pdf of all of the details/schedule for Marching Mustangs, and also spectator info: including a full schedule of performing bands, driving directions, etc.
- DETAILS FOR MARCHING MUSTANGS:
- Yellow “Here Comes the Sun Shirt” underneath full uniform.
- Load Trailers after school on Friday.
- 09:30 AM (Saturday) Band Room & Uniform Room Opens for uniform dress and equipment loading
- 10:00 AM- CALL TIME – Report to the Band Room for Meeting, in uniform ready to go
- 10:10 AM: Load Buses: wearing full uniform with blue band shirt, shoes, and long black socks. Bring shako on bus. Instruments in cases.
- 10:15 AM: Buses Depart BVN
- 10:45 AM: Approximate arrival time at CBAC, Unload Buses and Equipment, Gather in Sections
- 11:20 AM: Meeting and Pre-Warmup & Stretch, near buses if space allows
- 11:35 AM: Pit & Band Travel to Warmup
- 11:40 AM: Pit & Band Warmup Begins (Zone A)
- 12:10 PM: Move to Gate. 12:20 Report time at entrance gate.
- 12:30 PM: Blue Valley North Performance in Prelims
- 12:45 PM: Performance Ends – return to buses for meeting and instructions. Get out of uniform.
- 1:00 PM (approx): Lunch (Provided by Boosters).
- 1:45 PM: Return to stadium to watch remaining bands. Sit together and be a respectful and supportive audience.
- 3:45 PM: Prelim Awards and announcement of Finalists (drum major retreat)
- After prelim awards: Return to buses for Meeting and Finals Times, Snack
- TBA: Dinner (Provided by Boosters). Exact dinner time depends on our finals performance time draw.
- 5:30 PM: Finals Performances Begin (Top 13 Bands). 15 minute performance slots.
- TBD time: Dress, Meeting, Stretch, Warmup, etc.
- TBD: Performance Time – Note that finals performance times are done by random draw or prelims placement. We will not know our time until around 4:00 PM. We will watch other finals bands as time allows and eat dinner (provided by MBB). Following our performance, return to buses for meeting and loading.
- Approx 9:45 PM: Finals Retreat/Awards (drum major retreat)
- 10:00 PM: Return to Buses for Meeting/Loading
- 10:15 PM: Load Buses/Depart
- 10:45 PM: Approx. Arrival BVN – dismiss after busses clean and equipment put away
- Tips/Reminders for a successful day:
- Full Uniform: Black Socks, Black Marching Shoes, Shorts, and Yellow Band Shirt under your uniform (4 S’s)
- Between performances, we’ll get out of uniform. Please wear your Yellow shirt with appropriate attire. Make sure to pack clothes for this… watch weather/temperatures!
- As always, represent our school in a positive manner – applaud and positively reinforce EVERYONE’s performance!
- This is a great learning opportunity – you will see a wide variety of bands and show styles – enjoy!
- No students will be dismissed until buses are completely cleaned and your instrument(s) and uniforms are put away!
- You’ve worked very hard…now is the time to show it off!!!!
BVN Band Calendar 2022-2023
- CLICK HERE for the UPDATED BVN Band Performance Calendar for the 22-23 school year
- CLICK HERE to go to the Calendar Page of our website
Fall Semester, At-a-Glance
High School Band is FUN, challenging, and busy… and WORTH IT!! Every band family, especially new families, have a quick read of the semester at-a-glance, to make sure you know what’s coming. It’s never too early to ask questions, and the only bad question is the one that goes unasked!
- October: Marching Festivals, BVN Band Coffee shop, and more auditions prep!
- Marching Mustangs perform at the District Marching Showcase, 3 marching festivals, and Senior Night Football… including the post-game light show!
- Concert Band/Freshman Band/Jazz Band prepare for the BVN Band Coffee Shop Performance on Tuesday the 23rd!
- Any interested students are really gearing up for auditions. Sousa Recordings are due mid-month, and ECKMEA auditions are at the beginning of November.
- All band students prepare for our BVN Band Auditions for spring concert bands which are in early November.
- November: Auditions, Crossroads Wind Symphony at BVN, and prepare for December!
- November is the audition and prep month. At the beginning of the Month, all students audition for BVN’s spring concert band classes, and then all classes spend the rest of the month preparing for our December concert and for Basketball pep bands.
- AMAZING Announcement! The Semi-professional Band: the Crossroads Wind Symphony will be giving a concert AT BVN. Full details coming soon… this is HUGE – ALL Band families should plan to attend!!
- December: December Band Concert and Bball Pep Bands
- All Band classes perform in our end-of-semester December Concert, which is a phenomenal night of music and tradition for our band program. My heart is full thinking of all of the incredible memories made at this concert.
- BBall Pep Bands begin. All band students are split into one of two pep bands, which will alternate BBall game performances, December-February. These are VERY fun events! Schedule and roster to be published in November.
Band Forms and Dues
Like many activities, we need to collect a couple of forms from all band students at the start of each year. In addition, we collect Fair Share Band Dues, which are critical in making the band experience possible for all students. All of the details are below in the Complete Forms Packet. Please know that Dues should NEVER cause a student to not participate in band. If you have any concerns about dues, please email Mr. Freeman.
- Complete Forms Packet
- Student info/Dues E-Form (this one can be submitted in hard copy or online… hard copy is the first of the forms in the complete packet linked above)
- Marching Mustangs: should have already submitted their forms and dues during Band Camp. If you have not, they are now due.
- All other Band Students (Concert, Freshman, and Jazz Band): please submit your forms and dues by or before Friday, September 16th (deadline extended)
Mustang Band Boosters News! (MBB)
A HUGE Thank you to our MBB Board and volunteers, who are doing INCREDIBLE work supporting YOUR Band students!!
President – Jim Decker. [email protected]
Past President – Kim Jacobson
Vice President – Cyndy Mangan
Secretary – Heather Nix
Co-Treasurer – Janna Raper
At Large Member – Paula Nichols
At Large Member – Brooklynn Mieczkowski
At Large Member – Geri Crain
- Parent Chaperones for Marching Season (click this link to sign up):
- Marching Festival Chaperones: Olathe Marching Festival (October 8), Kansas Bandmasters Championships at KU (October 22), and The Neewollah Festival in Independence KS (October 29)
- Football game chaperones – only one left – October 14th Senior Night and Postgame Light Show!
- Feed the Band! We will feed the Marching Mustangs several times during the month of October. Please contact Brooklyn Mieczkowski <[email protected]> if you would like to help!
- BVN Coffee Shop Night Coordinator Needed! – Coordinate donations and set-up for our BVN Band Coffee Shop Night on Tuesday, October 25th. This is a FUN one to do and we have a really good script for you to run off of – s0 NO WORRIES about not having done it before. It’s very manageable and enjoyable. Please contact Mr. Freeman if you are interested.
Whether you sign up to volunteer one time or all the time, we are looking forward to getting to know you & your student. Most committees require multiple volunteers so reach out to the committee chair or me if you have any questions. Check out the volunteer opportunities on the band website for more information and get involved in any way that works for you.
MBB Board Meetings Schedule. The MBB meets on Thursday evenings once a month, at 7 PM. All Band Parents are invited! 22-23 Meeting Schedule is
- Thursday 10/20, 7 – 8 PM
- Thursday 11/17, 7-8 PM
- Thursday, 12/15, 7-8 PM
- Thursday, 1/19/23, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 2/16, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 3/16, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 4/20, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 5/18, 7-8 PM
We are here to help – please reach out to any board member with questions or concerns. We are looking forward to a great year filled with fantastic music, new friends, and great memories.
Honor Bands and BVN Audition Music
For students interested in a WONDERFUL musical experience that challenges and inspires, they should consider auditioning for these great honor band experiences.
The ECKMEA District Honor Bands are FANTASTIC, and earning placement in them is the first step towards becoming an All-State Musician, which is the highest musical honor given to individual students in the state of Kansas. Students who make the EC bands are eligible to audition for the All State Bands. ECKMEA All-District and KMEA All-State Groups are open to all students, grades 9-12.
- Auditions for the EC Honor Bands are November 5th. These will be live/in-person auditions are Gardner-Edgerton HS.
- Audition Music can be downloaded on our Student Resources Page. You can get the password from any older member of the band.
- If you earn placement in one of the EC Honor Groups (there are three concert bands and one jazz band), then you rehearse and perform with these groups on Saturday, December 3rd.
GREAT OPPORTUNITY at MNU!!! Kansas HS District/State Honor Band Audition Clinic (Open to any students grades 9-12 planning to audition for KS District/State Honor Bands)Sunday, October 16 2-3:15pm
The John Philip Sousa Honor Band is an incredible all-state level group for 7th-9th graders. Students who make the group will participate in three days of rehearsals and performances in January, at KU. This honor band experience is one of the BEST, anywhere, and is HIGHLY recommended for all of our 9th graders.
- The Sousa Band uses recorded auditions. The recordings have to be submitted by Mr. Freeman or Mr. McCarty. Recordings are due to Mr. Freeman by Wednesday 10/19.
- CLICK HERE for audition music and more details.
BVN Spring Concert Bands: All BVN Band Members will audition for placement in one of our spring concert bands. BVN auditions will be held on Wednesday, 11/2. Our audition materials will be excerpts of the ECKMEA District Honor Band Audition music. You can find this music on our Student Resources Page.
Student Resources Page of the Band Website
The “Students only” section of our band website will be utilized throughout the year to distribute many resources to our students, behind a password wall. Students can ask a director or any older member of the band for the password. All students should familiarize themselves with this page, as it will be used quite a bit!