Band Update 10/16/2021
- From the Directors:
- Here we go! A BIG three weeks ahead in the band. Cliff’s notes version is:
- Week of 10/18: KSU Marching Festival Week! BVN Band Night at Minsky’s – eat yummy pizza and support the Band!! Voluntary drumline performance.
- Week of 10/25: BVN Band Coffee Shop and Neewollah Marching Festival!
- Week of 11/1: Auditions week! BVN Band Audition recordings due, ECKMEA Audition recordings due. Also the start of Blue/Silver bands
- Feedback Survey about a POTENTIAL SPRING BAND TRIP!! Please read and reply this week!!!
- BVN Band Coffee Shop Night! Featuring our Jazz Ensemble, Fall Concert Band, and Fall Freshman Band!!
- Everyone: Water and Tissue Donations.
- PARENTS – CHAPERONES NEEDED!
- Everyone: Band Forms and Dues!
- Here we go! A BIG three weeks ahead in the band. Cliff’s notes version is:
- The Week Ahead in the Bands: Details for 10/18-10/23
- Auditions for Spring 2022 BVN Band Classes: details.
- ECKMEA Auditions – Reminders and a GREAT College Masterclass Opportunity!
- SENIORS! – The Kerry Layton Scholarship from the BV Ed Foundation!
- BVN Band Calendar – Please read carefully and update your personal calendars!
- Expanding your Musical Horizons – Private Lessons, FCYBA, Honor Bands, lettering in band, and more
From the Directors:
HERE. WE… GOOOO! The next three weeks in the band are busy, and AWESOME! We’ll release full details for each week, one week at a time, in “the week ahead” section. Here’s the quick version:
- Week of 10/18:
- Tuesday Evening 10/19 – Minsky’s Night!! Eat yummy pizza and support the Band! Eat at Minsky’s at 127th and Metcalf, tell them you’re with the BVN Band, and a portion of your purchase will support the band. In addition – please share THIS FLYER on all social medias to get others to support us! AND – you can order online all week and still get the promotion. HOORAY! Give back to a local business and support the band. Win-Win!!
- Thursday Evening 10/21 – Voluntary Drumline for Soccer Senior Night Performance.
- Saturday 10/23: K-State Marching Festival!!
- Week of 10/25:
- Tuesday Evening 10/26, 6 PM: BVN Band Coffee Shop! Hear great music, eat yummy baked goods, drink coffee. What could be better than that?!? Featuring our Jazz Band, Concert Band, and Freshman Band. CLICK HERE for the flyer – please share this far and wide!
- Wednesday Morning 10/27: ECKMEA Auditions Cuts released, and video recording submission window opens.
- Friday evening 10/29: Possible Home Football Game… although less likely after a tough loss this past Friday. We’ll know for sure after the game on 10/22.
- Saturday 10/30: Neewollah Marching Festival!!!
- Week of 11/1:
- Monday, 11/1: All BVN Band Auditions videos due by the end of the day.
- Tuesday 11/2: All ECKMEA Auditions videos due by the end of the day.
- Tuesday 11/2: Beginning of Blue and Silver Concert Bands in 1st hour.
- Saturday 11/6: ECKMEA Auditions Judging Day (nothing for students to do, just an FYI). Auditions are judged/scored on this day, and results are usually posted on the ECKMEA website sometime on Sunday the 7th or Monday the 8th.
FEEDBACK SURVEY – POTENTIAL BAND TRIP!!! Mr. Wagoner and I would LOVE to take the BVN Bands to the Winter Park Ski-Music Festival this coming Spring. This festival has been around for a long time, and is a spectacular experience for students! I have wanted to take the band for years. This year, after having so many ughh-covid-realities over the past couple of years, I especially want to take the trip, to give our band students – and especially our seniors – a thank-you and capstone experience for this year. The trip would be voluntary, but highly encouraged, and is open to ALL members of our band program. Please CLICK HERE to read an overview of the trip, and complete a feedback/interest survey. Please complete this by Noon on Sunday, October 24th. This is NOT a commitment form. You will provide information that will help Mr. Wagoner and I decide yes or no on the trip (FYI we are both big yesses… we’ve been considering it for a while!!), and also help us decide the best date to take the trip, as there are a couple of options. THANK YOU!!
We are SO excited for the return of our BVN Band Coffee Shop Night!! On Tuesday, October 24th, 6 PM, come one, come all to the BVN Commons and enjoy the WONDERFUL music of our BVN Jazz Ensemble, Fall Concert Band, and Freshman Band. While you listen, you’ll get tasty treats from local bakeries and coffee!! You don’t need to travel anywhere for the live music experience – we’ll bring it to BVN! This is a small fundraiser for our program – free will tips and donations will be taken all night long, but the main purpose is to have a really relaxed night sharing the music and talents of our BVN Band Students!
- Please help us publicize the event. Share this Flyer on all the social medias, far and wide!
- Jazz Ensemble, Concert Band, and Freshman Band Students/Families. Full details will be shared in next week’s Band Update, and in classes this coming week. For now – plan on a 5:30 call time wearing jeans (or nice darker pants) and this year’s Blue BVN Band Shirt.
- EVERYONE – we’ll need a handful of volunteers to help set-up after school. More details forthcoming.
WATER and TISSUES! Each year, we ask all band families to donate 1 case of bottled water, and facial tissues (kleenex) – in whatever amount you choose. If you haven’t yet donated, please do – we can use it!! Please send in your donations any time – just have your band student bring them to the front of the band room any time. You can also drop them in the main office, labeled for the band.
PARENTS – CHAPERONES NEEDED for our Marching Season! CLICK HERE to sign up to chaperone any of our home football games and marching festivals. No experience necessary – chaperoning is FUN and a GREAT way to support your band students. We provide on-the-job training, no worries.
Band Forms and Dues: CLICK HERE for the complete forms packet, which includes all necessary information. If you have not yet submitted forms and dues, they are now do ASAP. Hard copies of the forms are available in the band room, if needed. Forms/dues can be turned into the blue box just outside Mr. Freeman/Mr. Wagoner’s office.
REMINDER for everyone: as we complete performances, we load all performance videos in a folder that is linked on the login page of our band website. Band students should know the password. Login and enjoy our recordings!
Band in the era of Covid. CLICK HERE to read about our current covid-mitigation-in-band-rehearsals
Mr. Freeman and Mr. Wagoner
The Week Ahead in the Band, 10/18 – 10/23
- Odd Block Classes.
- Marching Mustangs: 7 AM Rehearsal will start at 7:15 this week!!
- Even Block Class Schedule with Late Start.
- Marching Mustangs: 7 AM Rehearsal
- Section Leaders and Drum Majors: Meeting During North Time
- MINSKY’S NIGHT! Eat at Minsky’s (or order carryout), make sure to mention BVN Band when you check out, and a portion of your purchase goes to the band. I doubt this works on online orders, so call it in or go in person! SHARE THIS FLYER Far and wide!!
- Odd Block Schedule.
- Marching Mustangs – Evening rehearsal at the NEW BVW DAC! (District calls it the “Ant-Dac” for Antioch DAC). We’ll follow the same schedule as last week. And yes, lights are already scheduled to be on. Let’s hope they work this time!
- 6:00 PM: Percussion and Color Guard
- 6:45 PM: Everyone
- 8:05 PM: Performance Run of the Show. PARENTS – come be an audience for us!! This will be the first “performance” with every marching maneuver and visual installed. It’s a challenging and powerful show. We are excited to share it with everyone!
- Even Block Classes with Late Start
- Percussion: Voluntary Drumline Performance for Soccer Senior Night. Section leaders are coordinating sign up
- This year’s Blue Band Shirt with jeans. Jackets and such as necessary for temperatures.
- 5:30 PM: Meet at the DAC (the normal one at BVNW). Bring your equipment with you.
- 6:00 PM: Perform during pre-game/senior night festivities
- 6:30 PM: Soccer game starts, our performance is done.
- Traditional Schedule
- Marching Mustangs: 7:30 AM Start to 1st hour rehearsal. Trailer loading plans TBD.
- Marching Mustangs Perform at the KSU Central States Marching Festival
- DINNER ORDERS – CLICK HERE TO ORDER YOU SANDWICH!!
- By NOON: Band Room open. Please eat lunch BEFORE coming to BVN.
- T-shirt of the day is “The Road Not Taken” t-shirt.
- On the busses: travel in your under-uniform clothing: t-shirt and shorts. I’d recommend warm-up pants over the shorts, or running tights underneath. This will keep you warm and make uniforming at KSU easy.
- It’s forecasted to be a very nice day, but a little chilly (50’s and 60’s): So – please bring jackets, etc. as necessary. We’ll be outside from approx 4:00 PM until after 10:00, with a short stint inside for our clinic. Plan accordingly!
- 12:45: Leadership Meeting in the PAC.
- 1:15 PM: Marching Mustangs Depart for K-State.
- Load uniforms in hanging bags on busses, shakos/gloves/etc in shako boxes on busses.
- Load instruments in busses (except for what normally goes on trailers)
- Travel in your under-uniform attire (t-shirt, etc).
- Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need for your uniform. The right shoes, the right LONG black socks, gloves, etc.
- Make sure to go to the bathroom before we leave! We will not stop between BVN and K-State, and are traveling in yellow school busses, so no bathrooms.
- 3:45, estimated: Arrive at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Bathrooms and go in to watch bands perform. Stay together as a group – we will sit together.
- After a few bands, we’ll return to the busses for a quick snack (provided) and to get instruments.
- 5:45: depart busses (walking) to KSU’s indoor practice facility
- 6 PM: Clinic with KSU Band Staff at the indoor practice facility.
- 6:45: Return to busses. Eat Dinner immediately (Provided- McAlister’s Deli Box Dinners and water). By 7:30, finish dinner, get into uniforms.
- 7:45: In Sections – tuning and get focused.
- 8 PM: Full Ensemble Warm-up.
- 8:15: Transit to stadium
- 8:30 PM – Perform! Blow them away!!!
- After performance – we’ll move into the stadium seats, staying in uniform, to watch the final 4 bands and the K-State Marching Band Perform.
- Make sure to use restrooms during this time!
- 10 PM, estimated: Awards ceremony. Immediately following awards, move to busses, get out of uniform quickly, and depart for BVN.
- 1:30 AM, estimated: Return to BVN
- CLICK HERE for a link to purchase photos of the festival. There will be on-field photos taken.
- CLICK HERE For a complete performance schedule. (it gives a lot of details – make sure to find the “performance column” to see performance times.
- We’d love to have a BUNCH of you in the stands cheering us on!! If you wish to attend the festival, plan to park on the west side of the stadium, and there is an admission fee.
- Thank you, as always, for being our biggest fans, our best support group, and our all-time-no-one-else-is-even-close-favorite audience!!
Auditions for Spring Concert Bands
During Band Classes this past Thursday 10/14, we distributed all materials and details for our upcoming auditions for our Spring Concert Bands. All Band students will audition for placement in the Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, or Concert Band.
- CLICK HERE for the full info packet/all details.
- CLICK HERE to go to the login page of our website, where you can find audition music. Hard copies are in folders on the blue bulletin board in the 600 hallway.
- Auditions are video recordings. All video recordings are due by the end of the day on Monday, November 1st, and will be submitted in the canvas assignments for “Auditions – Scales” and “Auditions – Excerpts”
ECKMEA Auditions are Fast Approaching – Reminders and a college masterclass-audition-prep Opportunity!
If you have not yet registered for ECKMEA Auditions, you can now complete a late registration, but the cost has gone up to $25 per audition. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! This is open to all Band Students, grades 9-12. The $25 fee is good through Tuesday, 10/26. After that time, registration goes up to $50 per audition.
Auditioning for the ECKMEA Honor Band is an AWESOME thing. It’s a competitive audition, and GREAT life experience, whether you make it or not. Also, making the group is a BIG honor, and is the first step towards earning All-State honors – the highest honor given to individual student musicians in the state of Kansas.
PERCUSSIONISTS – reminder that you are preparing a “complete percussion” audition – meaning you will audition on snare, mallets, and timpani. If you haven’t been looking at all of the materials, yet, please do. More info coming SOON for percussionists. That information will include a CUT of materials….. you won’t be recording all of every audition.
All audition materials and info can be found on our Band Website, students only section. Make sure to open the folders and read the Auditions Instructions for Concert Band and for Jazz Band before registering. Since the auditions are video format and not live, sight reading will be removed from audition requirements.
Auditions Timeline and Advice:
- PRACTICE!!! If you are not in private lessons, if you can get started and get a couple in before auditions, it will be worth it!! Make sure you are practicing the auditions excerpts AND your Major Scales AND your Chromatic scales! (percussion: no scales requirement).
- October 27th: Video submissions window opens. On this day, ECKMEA will release “cuts” of all auditions, so you’ll actually record a little less than what is initially advertised. We’ll release the cuts as soon as we have them, and you have through Tuesday 11/2 to get them recorded and sent to Mr. Freeman.
- Tuesday, November 2nd: Auditions window closes. Videos MUST be submitted by the end of the day on Tuesday 11/2.
- Auditions video format MUST be an unlisted youtube link, with embedding enabled. You will email the links to Mr. Freeman once they are ready.
- Woodwinds and Brass will record two videos – one of scales, the other of audition excerpts. Full instructions coming soon.
- Percussionists will record a snare, mallet, and timpani auditions (3 separate short videos).
- Jazz Auditioners will record 4 separate videos. Details coming soon.
- Think now about your recording equipment. A good quality mic is important! The BVN Band has a couple of good mics you can check out, if needed.
MNU Audition Prep Clinic! On Sunday, 10/31, Mid-America Nazarene offers a District Auditions Masterclass at 2 PM. Students work in masterclass settings with college professors on their auditions! Well worth it!! Check out more info and register here: https://www.mnu.edu/events/student-performances-bell-center/kansas-district-audition-masterclass-1
Seniors – Scholarship Opportunity!
Each year, the Blue Valley Ed Foundation gives one “Kerry Layton Memorial Scholarship”, awarded to one outstanding senior in Band from across the BV School District. It’s a straightforward application… all seniors should go for it! CLICK HERE for the application and info.
BVN Band Calendar – Make sure everything is up-to-date!
Expanding your Musical Horizons!
During the School year, there will be many AMAZING opportunities to make music outside the walls of BVN. Honor Bands, Private Lessons, and much more can and will be highlights of your year, and memories that will last forever.
PRIVATE LESSONS are HIGHLY recommended! Private lessons help students unlock skills and work on specific techniques that will greatly enhance their playing! Students who wish to be in the BVN Wind Ensemble, or who want to go for honor bands, take solos to festivals, etc should seriously consider private lessons. We are lucky to have many AMAZING private instructors in the area – just email Mr. Freeman or Mr. Wagoner for suggestions.
Fountain City Youth Brass Band – an incomparably awesome opportunity!!
The Fountain City Youth Brass Bands are INCREDIBLE. A premiere organization – one of the best anywhere – and a phenomenal experience for brass and percussion students. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! Click here for more info.
The First honor band experience will be auditions for the ECKMEA District Honor Bands (all band students are eligible), and the Kansas Sousa Honor Band (for 9th Graders). These are FANTASTIC experiences and well worth the effort to audition. HIGHLY recommended for all students.
Please find all details of these and much more on our Extra Musical Experiences Webpage.
Audition Materials can be found on the Student Resources Login Page of the website. Students should know the password.
LETTERING IN BAND
Students can earn a varsity letter in band, just like in any sport. Letters are awarded to students who go above and beyond what it takes to earn the band grade. Volunteering for pep bands, serving as a member of leadership, taking private lessons, participating in FCYBB and/or the KC Youth Symphony, performing at church, and on and on… all of these and much more can qualify for lettering points. CLICK HERE for lettering details.
First year letter winners receive the Chenille Letter Award, and 2nd/3rd/4th year winners get pins to add to the letter.