Band Update 10/10
- From the Directors:
- Congratulations! What a week!!
- District Honor Band Auditions – time to register!
- John Philip Sousa Band Auditions Reminder
- Everyone: Water and Tissue Donations.
- PARENTS – CHAPERONES NEEDED!
- Everyone: Band Forms and Dues!
- Marching Mustangs – make sure the FB Game on October 29th is on your calendars
- District Honor Band Registration and details
- BVN Band Calendar – Please read carefully and update your personal calendars!
- Expanding your Musical Horizons – Private Lessons, FCYBA, Honor Bands, lettering in band, and more
From the Directors:
Congratulations on your performances last week! We are so proud of your work at the homecoming parade (in the rain…), and at the football game Friday night. Your performances are a great preview and step in the right direction leading up to our festival performances at the end of this month. We are also very proud of your performance in the return of our annual light show, what a fun night!
ECKMEA District Honor Band Auditions are coming up – time to register!!! Students who plan to audition need to CLICK HERE to register by the end of the day this Monday, Oct. 11! This is a great experience and all students are encouraged to audition, especially all students who are aiming to be in the BVN Wind Ensemble this year. Full details can be found below in the Band Update.
John Philip Sousa Honor Band – Any 9th graders planning to audition for JPS Honor Band, your videos are due to Mr. Wagoner this WEDNESDAY evening along with your $12 check for your audition. Please see Mr. Wagoner if you have questions, or need help recording. An email was sent a couple weeks ago with more information.
REMINDER for everyone: as we complete performances, we load all performance videos in a folder that is linked on the login page of our band website. Band students should know the password. Login and enjoy our recordings!
WATER and TISSUES! Each year, we ask all band families to donate 1 case of bottled water, and facial tissues (kleenex) – in whatever amount you choose. If you haven’t yet donated, please do – we can use it!! Please send in your donations any time – just have your band student bring them to the front of the band room any time. You can also drop them in the main office, labeled for the band.
PARENTS – CHAPERONES NEEDED for our Marching Season! CLICK HERE to sign up to chaperone any of our home football games and marching festivals. No experience necessary – chaperoning is FUN and a GREAT way to support your band students. We provide on-the-job training, no worries.
Band Forms and Dues: CLICK HERE for the complete forms packet, which includes all necessary information. If you have not yet submitted forms and dues, they are now do ASAP. Hard copies of the forms are available in the band room, if needed. Forms/dues can be turned into the blue box just outside Mr. Freeman/Mr. Wagoner’s office.
Marching Mustangs – Calendar Check: A few weeks ago, we added a potential home football game on Friday, October 29th. This is a unique game – it is a “regular season” game as every team in the state will play that week, guaranteed. However, it’s also the first round of playoffs (every 6A in the state is seeded in a big tournament), and the home team will be the higher ranked team in the bracket. If we host a home game, then the band will give a full performance, so please make sure this is on your calendars. More to come. (FYI – if the team advances through the playoffs in November, we will use voluntary pep bands with no field performance. If we have a home game on the 29th, we’ll do full pre-game and halftime shows)
Band in the era of Covid. CLICK HERE to read about our current covid-mitigation-in-band-rehearsals
Mr. Freeman and Mr. Wagoner
The Week Ahead in the Band, 10/11-10/15
CLICK HERE for BVN’s Block/Traditional Schedule Rotation for October – November – December
CLICK HERE for the BVN Bell Schedule
- Odd Block Classes.
- Marching Mustangs: 7 AM Rehearsal
- Deadline to register for ECKMEA District Band auditions!!!
- Even Block Class Schedule with Late Start.
- Marching Mustangs: 7 AM Rehearsal
- Section Leaders and Drum Majors: Meeting During North Time
- All school testing day.
- Marching Mustangs
- Evening rehearsal 6:30-8:30pm at the DAC (Switzer and 135th)
- John Philip Sousa Honor Band audition recordings due to Mr. Wagoner (9th graders only)
- Traditional Schedule – no NorthTime.
- No School
ECKMEA District Honor Band Registration and Details!
It’s time to register for ECKMEA District Honor Band/Honor Jazz Auditions!
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! This is open to all Band Students, grades 9-12. Please complete your registration by the end of the day on Monday, October 11.
Auditioning for the ECKMEA Honor Band is an AWESOME thing. It’s a competitive audition, and GREAT life experience, whether you make it or not. Also, making the group is a BIG honor, and is the first step towards earning All-State honors – the highest honor given to individual student musicians in the state of Kansas.
Sneak-peek for BVN students! Since I am the ECKMEA president, you’ll be in the know a couple of days ahead of the official announcement to everyone else… Auditions this year will be VIDEO AUDITIONS, due to covid. For those who did this last year, it will be the same format. In a normal year, the auditions are held live/in-person.
PERCUSSIONISTS – please note that this year’s audition is a “complete percussion” audition – meaning you will audition on snare, mallets, and timpani. If you haven’t been looking at all of the materials, yet, please do. More info coming SOON for percussionists. That information will include a CUT of materials….. you won’t be recording all of every audition.
All audition materials and info can be found on our Band Website, students only section. Make sure to open the folders and read the Auditions Instructions for Concert Band and for Jazz Band before registering. Since the auditions are video format and not live, sight reading will be removed from audition requirements.
- Now through October 8th, register at the link above.
- As soon as you register, send in $12 per audition, payable to BVN Band (instructions on the registration form). If you register after October 8th, the late fee is $25
- PRACTICE!!! If you are not in private lessons, if you can get started and get a couple in before auditions, it will be worth it!! Make sure you are practicing the auditions excerpts AND your Major Scales AND your Chromatic scales! (percussion: no scales requirement).
- October 27th: Video submissions window opens. On this day, ECKMEA will release “cuts” of all auditions, so you’ll actually record a little less than what is initially advertised.
- Tuesday, November 2nd: Auditions window closes. Videos MUST be submitted by the end of the day on Tuesday 11/2.
- Auditions videos will be unlisted youtube links with embedding enabled.
- PERCUSSIONISTS: Your audition is a complete percussion audition, meaning you will record a snare, mallet, and timpani auditions (3 separate short videos). Keep your eyes peeled for a reduction of your audition excerpts – TBA in the very near future (and will be posted here). Then, on October 27th, they’ll be another round of cuts announced before your record.
- Think now about your recording equipment. A good quality mic is important! The BVN Band has a couple of good mics you can check out, if needed.
Reminder to EVERYONE: We will use these exact same materials for our BVN Auditions for our spring concert ensembles. So – EVERYONE should take a look at these audition materials now!
BVN Band Calendar
BVN Band Calendar Webpage.
BVN Bands 2021-2022 Calendar of Events (the “Fridge Calendar”)
Recent Calendar Updates – please double-check/make these updates in your own calendars!
- ATTENTION MARCHING MUSTANGS – NEW ADDITION: Friday, October 29th, we have a potential home football game! This is a guaranteed game – the BVN football team WILL play that night, but it is the first round of playoffs. We will not know if it is a home or away game until later in the season. If it is a home game – we will give a full performance! If not – we won’t.
- Wind Ensemble Performances on Friday, February 25th (KMEA), and Sunday, February 27th (Lied Center/KU) have been added.
- Homecoming Week – Parade and Light Show!
- Please note the Homecoming Parade will be on Wednesday, October 6th (Marching Mustangs and Freshman Band Combine to perform in this parade!). This is a VERY fun event.
- Friday, October 8th will be a BIG NIGHT! It will include Senior Night for the Football Team and Marching Mustangs, Homecoming Events, AND our annual Marching Mustangs Post-Game Light Show Performance (they shut off the stadium lights and the band lights up the field!)
- Save the Dates for Summer Band Camp 2022 (for the 2022-2023 School year!
- July 25th – July 30th, 2022: “Pre-Camp” week. Percussion/Color Guard/Leadership/Rookies!
- July 31 – August 6th, 2022: Band Camp! With our parent performance on Saturday the 6th.
Expanding your Musical Horizons!
During the School year, there will be many AMAZING opportunities to make music outside the walls of BVN. Honor Bands, Private Lessons, and much more can and will be highlights of your year, and memories that will last forever.
PRIVATE LESSONS are HIGHLY recommended! Private lessons help students unlock skills and work on specific techniques that will greatly enhance their playing! Students who wish to be in the BVN Wind Ensemble, or who want to go for honor bands, take solos to festivals, etc should seriously consider private lessons. We are lucky to have many AMAZING private instructors in the area – just email Mr. Freeman or Mr. Wagoner for suggestions.
Fountain City Youth Brass Band – an incomparably awesome opportunity!!
The Fountain City Youth Brass Bands are INCREDIBLE. A premiere organization – one of the best anywhere – and a phenomenal experience for brass and percussion students. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! Click here for more info.
The First honor band experience will be auditions for the ECKMEA District Honor Bands (all band students are eligible), and the Kansas Sousa Honor Band (for 9th Graders). These are FANTASTIC experiences and well worth the effort to audition. HIGHLY recommended for all students.
Please find all details of these and much more on our Extra Musical Experiences Webpage.
Audition Materials can be found on the Student Resources Login Page of the website. Students should know the password.
LETTERING IN BAND
Students can earn a varsity letter in band, just like in any sport. Letters are awarded to students who go above and beyond what it takes to earn the band grade. Volunteering for pep bands, serving as a member of leadership, taking private lessons, participating in FCYBB and/or the KC Youth Symphony, performing at church, and on and on… all of these and much more can qualify for lettering points. CLICK HERE for lettering details.
First year letter winners receive the Chenille Letter Award, and 2nd/3rd/4th year winners get pins to add to the letter.