Band Update: 10-23-2022
CONGRATULATIONS MARCHING MUSTANGS on a PHENOMENAL day at the KBA Marching Band Championships!!! Two OUTSTANDING runs of the show highlighted a wonderful and enjoyable day. The students represented BVN well at all times, gave remarkable performances, supported other bands, and had an overall outstanding day. HUUUGE thanks to our amazing parent crew who worked hard throughout the long day. We couldn’t do it without you!
KBA is one of our culminating events of marching season – the most competitive and closely judged/scored festival we attend. The bands yesterday were outstanding. The day was highlighted by artistry, musicality, athleticism, and breathtaking performances from every band I saw. Everyone should be VERY proud of our students. In a high-caliber field of bands and with the least-enviable performance schedule, we had amazing results!
- 3rd place in our class in prelims (classes based on band size), and 10th place overall, qualifying for finals. (this is awesome!! Several other directors gave us huge compliments for earning a finals spot while performing 5 or 6 hours before most of the other finalist bands… a challenging schedule given the realities of marching festivals)
- In Finals, the Marching Mustangs stepped up and gave another phenomenal performance, jumping up 4 points (a BIG jump in marching band scoring) and moving up to 8th overall. While comparing year-to-year festival results is really comparing apples and oranges, it is worth noting that our 8th place finish ties us for our highest ever placement at the KBA festival
As amazing as KBA was… we have an even better week ahead!
- Tuesday Evening – EVERYONE should come to the BVN Band Coffee Shop!!! 6:30-7:45ish in the BVN commons! Come as you are, stay as long as you want, and enjoy the amazing music and talents of our BVN Jazz Ensemble and BVN Fall Concert Band Students!!
- On Thursday, the Marching Mustangs will perform for the LMS student body – this will be VERY fun!!
- On Saturday, the Marching Mustangs travel to Independence, KS, and the Neewollah Festival for a fun culminating performance of our marching season!
- Friday 10/28 is the late ($25) registration deadline for Registration deadline for ECKMEA Honor Bands!
Auditions for BVN’s Spring Band Classes:
- All Band Students will audition for placement in our Spring Band Classes. These auditions will happen on Wednesday, November 2nd, in the evening, by appointments. Sign-up will be coming soon.
- CLICK HERE for complete auditions details.
- CLICK HERE for all of the music (links to the student resources login page of our BVN Band Website)
- Hard copies of all of this info will be distributed in classes this week, and will remain available in the 600 hallway through auditions.
Make sure to check out the BVN Fall Activity Guide (Digital Edition)! It has several great pages of band pictures. We will give out hard copies in band classes this week. Band Students are looking good!
Contents of the Band Update:
- From the Directors
- Congratulations Marching Mustangs
- This week – Coffee Shop Tuesday, Neewollah Friday!
- Auditions for BVN Spring Band Classes
- BVN Fall Activity Guide!
- The Week Ahead: 10/24-10/29/2022
- BVN Band Performance Calendar 22-23.
- The Fall Semester, at-a-glance. A cliff’s notes version of what is coming this fall.
- 22-23 Band Forms/DUES
- Mustang Band Boosters News:
- Current Support Needed
- MBB Board Meeting Schedule
- Honor Bands – Audition Music!
- Our Student Resources Page (ask section leaders for the password) has audition materials for BVN, ECKMEA Honor Bands, All-State Honor Bands, and the John Philip Sousa Honor Band
- Student Resources Page on Band Website
The Week Ahead: 10/24-10/29
- Odd Block Class Schedule.
- Marching Mustangs 7 AM Rehearsal. SCHEDULE NOTE: We will unload equipment at 7:00 and begin rehearsal at 7:15! Enjoy a few extra minutes sleep!!
Tuesday 10/25 – Everyone come to the BVN Band Coffee Shop in the BNV Commons, featuring our Jazz Ensemble and Concert/Freshman Band!!
- Even Block Class Schedule
- Marching Mustangs: 7 AM Rehearsal.
- BVN Band Coffee Shop Performance!
- 6:00 PM: Call time for Jazz Ensemble and Freshman/Concert Band Students. Warm-up/tune in band and choir rooms. Attire is this year’s Blue Band Shirt and nice pants/jeans (no shorts please).
- 6:30 PM – Coffee Shop Begins! Everyone is invited to come enjoy wonderful music by our Band Students and delicious baked goods/coffee/etc. donated from local businesses!
- Performance order; BVN Jazz Ensemble Set #1 – BVN Concert/Freshman Band – BVN Jazz Ensemble Set #2.
- Should finish up between 7:30 and 7:45 PM. It will be a very enjoyable time of music, yummy treats, and time with the wonderful BVN Band Community!
- Help us spread the word – blow up your social media feeds!!
- Odd Block Class Schedule.
- Marching Mustangs: Evening Rehearsal at BVN!
- 5:30: set-up/equipment moving
- 6:00: Color Guard and Percussion Sectionals Begin
- 6:30-8:30 PM: Rehearsal.
- White out Wednesday!
- Even Block Classes
- Marching Mustangs perform at LMS
- Dismiss at 12:50, during AST, head to band room, load busses and go.
- Set-up/Warm-up at OTMS at 1:30.
- Perform for assembly 1:55 – 2:15-ish.
- Return to BVN before the end of the school day/in time for bus riders.
- Wear THIS YEAR’S BLUE SHIRT!
- Traditional Schedule, all 7 classes meet.
- Marching Mustangs rehearsal begins at 7:30 AM.
Saturday 10/29: Marching Mustangs perform at the Neewollah Marching Festival!
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE DETAILS OF OUR DAY! Here is a quick summary.
- 6:30 AM BVN opens – DONUTS! – 7 AM meeting in band room, depart for Independence at 7:20 AM (Charter Busses)
- Yellow Shirts on the busses, carry the full uniform on the bus (bring ALL the parts!).
- Parade begins at 11 AM. Best guess is BVN will enter the parade route between 11:30 and 11:45
- After Parade – lunch on own (bring $$)/enjoy the downtown festival. Students in groups of 4 or more!
- 3:00: Meet at busses, and travel to Marching Festival Site. Down time at festival site
- 4:30 PM – in uniform to begin warm-up procedures.
- 5:20 PM: BVN Performs!
- Dinner after performance (provided), watch last few bands (final band performs at 7:20 PM)
- Approx 7:40 PM: Awards
- After Awards, load busses and trailers and return to BVN. Estimated return to BVN between 11 and 11:30 PM
- For Parents/Spectators:
- The Parade begins at 11 AM and runs a loop around downtown Independence, starting on Pennsylvania Ave.
- The Field Show Competition is at Emmot Field. Admission is $5.
- Parents – we have some empty seats on our charter busses. If you would like to ride with us, that would be wonderful. Please email Mr. Freeman if you would like to do this and he will put you on the list. Please be aware that you are traveling with high schoolers and that you will follow our exact itinerary for the day.
BVN Band Calendar 2022-2023
- CLICK HERE for the UPDATED BVN Band Performance Calendar for the 22-23 school year
- CLICK HERE to go to the Calendar Page of our website
Fall Semester, At-a-Glance
High School Band is FUN, challenging, and busy… and WORTH IT!! Every band family, especially new families, have a quick read of the semester at-a-glance, to make sure you know what’s coming. It’s never too early to ask questions, and the only bad question is the one that goes unasked!
- October: Marching Festivals, BVN Band Coffee shop, and more auditions prep!
- Marching Mustangs perform at the District Marching Showcase, 3 marching festivals, and Senior Night Football… including the post-game light show!
- Concert Band/Freshman Band/Jazz Band prepare for the BVN Band Coffee Shop Performance on Tuesday the 23rd!
- Any interested students are really gearing up for auditions. Sousa Recordings are due mid-month, and ECKMEA auditions are at the beginning of November.
- All band students prepare for our BVN Band Auditions for spring concert bands which are in early November.
- November: Auditions, Crossroads Wind Symphony at BVN, and prepare for December!
- November is the audition and prep month. At the beginning of the Month, all students audition for BVN’s spring concert band classes, and then all classes spend the rest of the month preparing for our December concert and for Basketball pep bands.
- AMAZING Announcement! The Semi-professional Band: the Crossroads Wind Symphony will be giving a concert AT BVN. Full details coming soon… this is HUGE – ALL Band families should plan to attend!!
- December: December Band Concert and Bball Pep Bands
- All Band classes perform in our end-of-semester December Concert, which is a phenomenal night of music and tradition for our band program. My heart is full thinking of all of the incredible memories made at this concert.
- BBall Pep Bands begin. All band students are split into one of two pep bands, which will alternate BBall game performances, December-February. These are VERY fun events! Schedule and roster to be published in November.
Band Forms and Dues
Like many activities, we need to collect a couple of forms from all band students at the start of each year. In addition, we collect Fair Share Band Dues, which are critical in making the band experience possible for all students. All of the details are below in the Complete Forms Packet. Please know that Dues should NEVER cause a student to not participate in band. If you have any concerns about dues, please email Mr. Freeman.
- Complete Forms Packet
- Student info/Dues E-Form (this one can be submitted in hard copy or online… hard copy is the first of the forms in the complete packet linked above)
- Marching Mustangs: should have already submitted their forms and dues during Band Camp. If you have not, they are now due.
- All other Band Students (Concert, Freshman, and Jazz Band): please submit your forms and dues by or before Friday, September 16th (deadline extended)
Mustang Band Boosters News! (MBB)
A HUGE Thank you to our MBB Board and volunteers, who are doing INCREDIBLE work supporting YOUR Band students!!
President – Jim Decker. [email protected]
Past President – Kim Jacobson
Vice President – Cyndy Mangan
Secretary – Heather Nix
Co-Treasurer – Janna Raper
At Large Member – Paula Nichols
At Large Member – Brooklynn Mieczkowski
At Large Member – Geri Crain
- Parent Chaperones for Marching Season (click this link to sign up):
- Marching Festival Chaperones: Olathe Marching Festival (October 8), Kansas Bandmasters Championships at KU (October 22), and The Neewollah Festival in Independence KS (October 29)
- Football game chaperones – only one left – October 14th Senior Night and Postgame Light Show!
- Feed the Band! We will feed the Marching Mustangs several times during the month of October. Please contact Brooklyn Mieczkowski <[email protected]> if you would like to help!
Whether you sign up to volunteer one time or all the time, we are looking forward to getting to know you & your student. Most committees require multiple volunteers so reach out to the committee chair or me if you have any questions. Check out the volunteer opportunities on the band website for more information and get involved in any way that works for you.
MBB Board Meetings Schedule. The MBB meets on Thursday evenings once a month, at 7 PM. All Band Parents are invited! 22-23 Meeting Schedule is
- Thursday 10/20, 7 – 8 PM
- Thursday 11/10, 7-8 PM
- Thursday, 12/15, 7-8 PM
- Thursday, 1/19/23, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 2/16, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 3/16, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 4/20, 7-8 PM
- Thursday 5/18, 7-8 PM
We are here to help – please reach out to any board member with questions or concerns. We are looking forward to a great year filled with fantastic music, new friends, and great memories.
Honor Bands and BVN Audition Music
For students interested in a WONDERFUL musical experience that challenges and inspires, they should consider auditioning for these great honor band experiences.
The ECKMEA District Honor Bands are FANTASTIC, and earning placement in them is the first step towards becoming an All-State Musician, which is the highest musical honor given to individual students in the state of Kansas. Students who make the EC bands are eligible to audition for the All State Bands. ECKMEA All-District and KMEA All-State Groups are open to all students, grades 9-12.
- Auditions for the EC Honor Bands are November 5th. These will be live/in-person auditions are Gardner-Edgerton HS.
- Audition Music can be downloaded on our Student Resources Page. You can get the password from any older member of the band.
- If you earn placement in one of the EC Honor Groups (there are three concert bands and one jazz band), then you rehearse and perform with these groups on Saturday, December 3rd.
GREAT OPPORTUNITY at MNU!!! Kansas HS District/State Honor Band Audition Clinic (Open to any students grades 9-12 planning to audition for KS District/State Honor Bands)Sunday, October 16 2-3:15pm
The John Philip Sousa Honor Band is an incredible all-state level group for 7th-9th graders. Students who make the group will participate in three days of rehearsals and performances in January, at KU. This honor band experience is one of the BEST, anywhere, and is HIGHLY recommended for all of our 9th graders.
- The Sousa Band uses recorded auditions. The recordings have to be submitted by Mr. Freeman or Mr. McCarty. Recordings are due to Mr. Freeman by Wednesday 10/19.
- CLICK HERE for audition music and more details.
BVN Spring Concert Bands: All BVN Band Members will audition for placement in one of our spring concert bands. BVN auditions will be held on Wednesday, 11/2. Our audition materials will be excerpts of the ECKMEA District Honor Band Audition music. You can find this music on our Student Resources Page.
Student Resources Page of the Band Website
The “Students only” section of our band website will be utilized throughout the year to distribute many resources to our students, behind a password wall. Students can ask a director or any older member of the band for the password. All students should familiarize themselves with this page, as it will be used quite a bit!